Beatty was built in 1937 by W.J. Yarwood and Sons of Northwich for the Samuel Barlow carrying fleet as an iron composite narrowboat (iron sides and an elm bottom), the only composite iron narrowboat built new for Barlow's. In 1961 she was sold to J. Craddock of Wolverhampton for conversion to an eight berth converted narrowboat. She was purchased by Martin Grundy in 1968 for use as a family holiday boat and won the 'Best Converted Narrowboat' award at Guildford National Rally in 1970.
Beatty's elm bottoms were replaced with Opepe in early 2006, In late 2006, Beatty was taken to Brinklow Boat Services for Simon Wain to replace the timber conversion with a replica steel cabin retaining the lines and style of the 1960s cabin. Simon went to great lengths to retain the distinctive shape of the old cabin. Many people who have known Beatty over the years may not realise that the conversion is an entirely new steel cabin.